Thursday, July 17, 2008

Extended Sleepovers

In other news, (I'm putting the other news at the start of the post, deal with it) my ever-changing job description has refreshed once again and I've become a database engineer building dbases for inventory, shipping records, and quality control, as well as programming the front-end GUIs for entering and editing the data. Pretty neat stuff, and although I sometimes feel a little out of my depth, I really appreciate the fact that my manager is cool with me learning on the job. Last month, I scratched the surface of Python, creating a few scripts that converted our existing excel spreadsheets to our wiki format. Those were fairly simple, but being able to pick up the code so quickly was what gave people the confidence to trust me with the database and front ends. Well, that and the fact that our IT guy has his hands full with other projects, and rather than deal with setting up databases for me, just gave me full admin privileges. [=


In original news, today was the beginning of a (hopefully short) series of interviews with people who wanted me to spend my hard earned money to come and spend a year sleeping over at their place, contributing to chores, mowing the lawn, all that fun stuff. In other words, I need a new place to live.

The first place was alright, occupied by a grad student and -get this- a falconer working at the Tracy Aviary. The place was okay, fairly clean, but a bit beat up. Both guys were bike commuters, and had home-brewed beer on tap in their basement bar, which was pretty neat. $375 a month + utilities, so at the upper end of my price range..

Next place was in the avenues, where I met Herschell, a Native American stoner/party animal. The place was fairly priced, and was actually really nice, but occupied by a bunch of party animals and fairly trashed. Partying is alright I guess, but I don't want to be the only non-stoner in the house. Whatever..

Third place was even worse.. A musician, which I respect, but this dude's house was even more trashed, junk everywhere, and every room in the house was basically a mini studio. Everything about the room was depressing, small, stained carpets, trashed walls, tiny, grated window.. About a hundred dollars cheaper than any place I could find, but it'd be made up in therapist bills from living there, not to mention that the guy himself and his girlfriend were kinda gross.

On a whim, I had written down a couple of numbers in case the first three places were bust. One was a six bedroom place with three girls there currently, another was a flat downtown, but an email instead of a number, and a bit pricier, and someone renting an upstairs bedroom and a downstairs bedroom, no other info..

Can't email from my car, and the upstairs and downstairs apartment were too cheap to be good and I get the feeling that it's some family renting out the top and bottom. Students tend to write semi-descriptive posts.. Called the number, made arrangements to drop by later, and hung out with the guys for a bit. The place turned out to be small, but really nice. It was a little house in the aves, and turned out to be one of the historic houses with the badge and everything. I only got a tour of the downstairs. Each floor has a separate lease, and the girls didn't have a key to the upper floor yet, but they're moving upstairs over the weekend. I'm a fan of sunlight, and the upstairs has a dining room also, which the basement apartment lacked.. I'll definitely be back to check it out on Monday, but the two girls were pretty chill, but were definitely not party animals or anything. No drugs, no smoking. Awesome.

-Light stoners don't bother me, I just don't like living around the stuff-

Either way, I still have a few weeks if things don't work out. A bit of a wait is definitely better than getting stuck in a year lease in a crap place because I was impatient to move out..

With that, I'll leave you with a strip from the world's best geek comic. Brainchild of Randall Munroe, xkcd.com has provided me with tri-weekly geekjoyment.

This is probably the type of father I'll make if I ever make a kid..



No comments: